What’s up guys! So this week I wanted to talk about everyone’s favorite topic… WORKING OUT! I know, try to ease up on the excitement.
Working out is not the most enjoyable activity for a lot of people, I was one of those people. For me it took some time to get to a point that I enjoyed it. As I’ve matured though, I realized how important it is to stay active and make exercise a normal part of my life. I don’t exercise everyday (that’s a nice idea) but I do try to workout at least two or three times a week. It has become a vital part of my routine. I know that in order to feel my best and to keep up with my kiddos I need to stay active in some way. With that being said, being a mom of three takes up a lot of my time. I typically have to sneak a workout in when the baby is napping and the kids are at school. I have to find effective workouts that don’t require going to a gym and don’t take up a lot of time. These workouts are great for us busy moms who don’t have a lot of extra time to spare.
1. Running/Jogging – Outside is your gym for this workout; a cute outfit, some music, earbuds and a good pair of running shoes. When the weather permits, getting out into the fresh air and sun are really good for you! The cool thing about this is, you can take the baby with you in the stroller. They love being outside and it helps them sleep better! I am more new to the running world so I haven’t gotten up to going on long 1 and 2 hour jogs. My runs usually take about 20-40 minutes at the most. You can read more about my journey to becoming a runner here in this post. I use running apps to guide me and keep me on track, check out these awesome ones here and here.
2. 7 Minute Workout – I discovered this workout about a year ago, it is my “holy grail” of mommy workouts!!! It’s a high-intensity aerobic and resistance training with limited rest in between. This workout gives you the most benefits in a shorter amount of time. When I find myself needing a quick workout this is my go to, 7 minutes and that’s it! The amazing thing is that because of the high intensity you feel like you worked out longer than seven minutes. Umm, Yes Please! The exercises were a challenge for me at first but the more I did them the easier they became. The 7 Minute Workout app is what I use, it tracks your workouts, weight loss and progress. You can download it here for i-phone users and here for android users.
3. Sleek and Strong Workout with weights – Some light weights are the only equipment that you need. I’ve been doing this workout for a few months. I love it because no gym is necessary, yet you are doing weight training just as if you were in the gym. This circuit training tackles every muscle group and works up a great sweat! I work at my own pace and all together it takes about 25 minutes or so. You can find this workout here.
4. Yoga – Now I have only recently started doing yoga. It has been a challenge for me, but I feel great afterwards. This workout only requires a mat and the right clothing and it can be done in the privacy of your home. The one I do takes about 20 minutes or so. Yoga has been very intimidating for me and I have avoided it for a while. I finally decided to face that fear and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. You can find a ton of good yoga workouts on the internet, YouTube is a mecca for all types of yoga workouts that range from beginner to advanced. Check out a few of them here and here.
5. Pilates – Just like yoga, you can do this workout right in your living room and you only need a mat. I just had a baby by c-section and Pilates gets deep into those muscles I can’t really feel anymore. My body got so discombobulated after pregnancy and this workout really helps to tone and lengthen all of those muscles. No shoes are necessary for this workout. Check out this amazing pilates for beginners workout here!
I like to alternate these workouts from week to week, because I get bored really easy. Changing things up and challenging myself keeps me on my toes and prevents the dreaded plateau. Working out can be intimidating if you’ve never done it before, but you have to start somewhere. You can start with walking and work your way up to some of the exercises I’ve listed. Walking is another great way to exercise and doesn’t have to take a long time. As a mom I know there are so many demands put on us, from our mind and emotions, to our time and especially our bodies. I had to learn to make taking care of myself a priority! Working out is one of the ways I do that, It’s a great way to relieve stress and get out some aggression! When I first started to exercise it was to try and loose weight, when I didn’t see the results that I wanted I would stop. It was only when I changed my perspective that it became a normal part of my life. Now I really can’t go too many days without doing something. For me to be here now is a big change from where I was a few years ago, so believe me if I can do it, so can you!
[bctt tweet=”Working out is a lifestyle choice and not just something you do to loose a few pounds.” via=”no”] What are some of the things you do to stay active? I’d love to hear from you guys!